Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sepia Scenes #64



Welcome to Sepia Scenes this week! We have a new badge which you see above. Feel free to copy it and use it in your post.

My post consists of two photos from St. Michael's Cemetery in Astoria, Queens, NY.




A young woman dressed in draped roman garb is about to drop a rose from her wreath on the grave.




Here's a close-up of her hand and the rose. I added some soft focus around the edges of the shot and some graduated tinting. You can get both effects using Adobe Photoshop, Picasa, or other photo-editing software.

I think cemetery statuary lends itself particularly to a sepia tone, don't you?

Mr. Linky is up for you to sign in. Leave a comment if you like but make sure you try to visit your fellow Sepia Scenes participants.

16 comments:

Patti said...

Hi Mary,
I agree cemetery statuary works well in sepia tones.

Happy Sepia Scenes and Happy 2010!

Marice said...

that looks great in sepia.. so dramatic :)

happy new year Mary! hugs!

Ralph said...

This is a lovely statue, the look of continuing love. Sepia as always enhances her form, we see the loving and kind act so well here. Happy New Year, Mary!

Diane AZ said...

Beautiful statue! She looks lovely in sepia and I like soft focus around the edges.

Mojo said...

Nice one Mary!

Small City Scenes said...

Love the lady. Always works in sepia. MB

Anonymous said...

Also that we would do without your very good idea

Annie Jeffries said...

Beautiful traditional icon from a cemetary. I visited our local one recently for the first time and was disappointed by the lack of statuary.

anemonen said...

Hi Mary! The sepia tones are very suitable on statuary of this kind. Like it very much and A Happy New Year.

kayerj said...

she is gorgeous, I love the detail of the stone--and the trees in your header look like the woods of Lothlorien in Lord of the Rings :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, I do think cemetery statuary looks great in sepia!

Happy New Year, MaryT!

Anonymous said...

Yes Mary. The statue looks great in sepia tones -- headstones too. Nice job both photos.

Maude Lynn said...

I love that close-up!

Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you a great and blessed 2010!!! :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love the closeup of her hand. What a beautiful statue. You have inspired me to get to a cemetery nearby and get some photos of my own.

Sherrie said...

Hi Mary,
I like your sepia shot. She's beautiful! Mine is posted. Have a safe and happy new year!

Sherrie
A View of My Life